Let me introduce myself. My name is Monique Gary and I live in Southeastern Michigan in the Metro Detroit area. I currently work for Ware and Associates, a consulting firm. I work as an Instructional Designer and Project Manager. Recently I've started a new company I named Apex Grant Writing. At Apex we work collaboratively with your organization to identify funding opportunities that align with your organization's vision and strategic plan and to pursue grants that support your initiatives. We also serve as a resource in all aspects of proposal preparation including budget development and review, formatting, and adherence to all internal and external guidelines, regulatory requirements and policies.

Saturday, April 3, 2010

After You File Your Legal Incorporation Documents

  • Get approval from the board to file for tax exempt status.
  • File for federal tax exempt status with the Internal Revenue Service. You can find the forms for this on the IRS's Web site .
  • File for state tax exempt status. You will need to wait for federal approval for tax exempt status before you contact your state's department of revenue. To find contact information for your state's department of revenue, conduct a keyword search online for "[Your state's name] department of revenue."
  • Research local permit and business requirements. You may need to obtain a permit to solicit funds, get a business license, or file city level tax exempt status forms.
  • Obtain a mail permit from the U.S. Postal Service. This will grant you a bulk mail discount for your fundraising mailings.
  • Complete employment filing needs. If you plan on hiring employees, you will need to file for a federal employer number. This is a free process that you can complete online.  There is a simple form that you will need to fill out and file with the IRS. Once approved, the IRS will mail you a form with your federal employer number. You will also need to file for a state employer number. Contact your state's department of revenue for the proper forms. Finally, make sure that you have unemployment insurance and the proper tax reporting forms needed for meeting employment laws.
Next time...After You're Legal

No comments:

Post a Comment